Saturday, August 14, 2010

Peachy Keen!

Fiancee and I went to the local farmer's market for the first time on Thursday. The place has been around for 54 years and this is the first time I've ever been. Have I ever been missing out!

There are all sorts of booths with artisan pies, pastries, condiments. There are meat counters, and of course the produce area.

Like all farmers markets items are a bit on the pricey side, but keep in mind that these are handmade, fresh, unique, non-mass produced products. If you've ever tried making your own preserves, gone fruit picking at a farm, or made some pies you know that it takes a lot of time and effort. You have to make that up somewhere right?

We bought some small items here and there, but the major purchase was a basket of fresh and juicy peaches.

I'm not s big fan of peaches, preferring non fuzzy wannabe nectarines instead, but fiancee loves 'em and I'd love to try baking with them. Away we go.

Some peaches will be peeled and frozen for use in some protein smoothies. Some of course will be eaten by fiancee, and the rest will be baked or cooked tomorrow. The following are being considered.

  • peach pie
  • peach cobbler
  • peach pancakes
  • peach loaf
  • peach muffins
  • peach summer soup served cold (maybe a little to chic for me and fiancee, but still being considered)
  • peach tarts

I've never made a pie and I don't know if I'll buy the shell or make it myself. I made quiche one time with purchased frozen shells and they were a greasy nasty mess. I don't want a recreation of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment